Strategic Arts Management (SAM)Logo Slider Member Organization
Strategic Arts Management (SAM) provides mentoring, management, administrative, and other resources to artists and arts organizations at affordable, subsidized rates through a network of skilled service providers. SAM Services are offered in operations, financial and crisis management, board governance, strategic and career planning, and more. SAM Clients include creators, producers, presenters, festivals, foundations, trusts, and service organizations.
Working with a small in-house part time staff and a network of experienced arts consultants and service providers, who are contracted on as needed basis, SAM:
Assists in reviewing and editing grant and foundation applications;
- Consults, trains, mentors or assists in areas such as fundraising, public relations, communications, governance, financial management, operations management and tour development;
- Assists in career planning and strategic and organizational development;
- Assists in developing effective partnerships and collaborations;
- Provides short-term or project based administrative or managerial support;
- Provides special assistance for market development initiatives;
- Conducts operational and organizational reviews and provides recommendations for development;
- Offers special workshops and professional development opportunities for artistic, administrative and Board leaders;
- Assists artists in finding and contracting professional agent representation; represents artists who do not yet have agents, at Contact Events;
- Provides internship opportunities for aspiring arts administrators.
Strategic Arts Management (SAM)’s activities currently fall into four major categories:
- General Client Services;
- Special Client Services;
- Workshops and Special Projects; and
- Internal Organizational Growth.
SAM’s Client Services are meant for clients with specific needs that can be addressed in relatively discreet projects. Services are designed to enhance capacity, enabling the clients to work increasingly more effectively on their own. Clients who have worked with us over longer periods change the number and nature of the services they use as they build skills, face new challenges, and develop the resources to hire in-house staff.
SPECIFIC SERVICE AREAS INCLUDE:
- Finance Reporting and Management.
- Career Development, Strategic and Business Planning
- Assistance with Grant and Foundation Proposal Writing and Review.
- Revenue Generation including fundraising, diversification of revenue streams, and assistance with related research, planning and writing.
- Marketing and Audience Development
- Touring including touring and contact event readiness and planning.
- Partnerships including identifying and assisting with the development of artistic, operational and financial partnerships.
- Operations including change management; succession planning; database development; short term administrative services.
- Board Governance
SAM offers its services to clients at subsidized rates, which are set on a sliding scale based on the size of the client’s annual budget. In addition, there is a once a year management fee which helps to cover the costs of the initial contracting process, the matching of client to consultants, and the administration and preparation of contracts. SAM aims to make services affordable for clients within each budget level, and to ensure that all clients have equal access to top quality services.
Many of our service providers contribute time as volunteers in the cultural community, and also make space for SAM hours on top of their own often full-time consulting services and businesses. For a list of current service providers, click here.