About National Dance Week 2020
Canada's National Dance Week, built around UNESCO's International Dance Day, takes place every year from April 22nd until the 29th.
These are unprecedented times, and the COVID-19 pandemic has all impacted us at a personal and professional level. We are all dealing with our new 'normals' - including prolonged social isolation measures and uncertain futures. At Dance Nova Scotia, we have been working hard to stay as up to date as possible and provide an array of resources to our dance community and beyond. It is truly amazing to witness that every day, we are redefining our dance landscape and the way in which we interact with one another. In spite of these unsettling times, I am deeply moved by our dance community's drive to share their love of movement with the world. I'm sure you have seen the plethora of resources that have been made available to us, from free online dance classes, to workshops, shows and festivals!
At Dance Nova Scotia, we are committed to supporting A COMMUNITY UNITED IN DANCE; with this in mind, we are choosing to embrace the current climate and honour the National Dance Week celebrations from April 22 to 29th and International Dance Day on Wednesday April 29th! Whether you are hosting an online performance, organizing a special event, creating a Tiktok dance or leading online classes, we want to know how you’re celebrating NDW - Dance Nova Scotia is here to help spread the word!
Don’t know how to participate? Here are few ideas to get you started:
- If you aren't already, follow us on Facebook (National Dance Week Nova Scotia) and Instagram (@nationaldanceweekns), and when sharing photos and events please tag us and use hashtags #nationaldanceweekns or #internationaldanceday
- Already offering online classes to current students? Consider streaming a free class or workshop via Facebook, Instagram Live or Zoom for prospective students anytime during NDW
- Send us student artwork related to dancing
- Have colleagues and students create or learn a Tiktok dance, share on social media, and tag us!
- Tell us why you dance! Or, better still, show us! We’ll share your messages, videos and photos on our social media platforms
- Share inspirational messages about dance from students & staff on social media
- Help promote awareness of NDW by downloading and using the official logo here
- Share this year’s International Dance Day Message from Sarah Prosper, Dance Nova Scotia’s 2020 International Dance Day Ambassador!
- You can share any material with us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you do plan on hosting an activity or event, make sure to send us a short description and the date & time of the event(s). We’ll share this on all our social media platforms, website, calendar of events and newsletter!
We invite the movers & shakers, the doers & learners to find inspiration during these times. It is so important - now more than ever - to celebrate and share our love of dance with our community, locally and at large. We are looking forward to a time when we will all be together again; in the meantime, stay positive, take care, and find some time for having fun - we would love to see you get creative in your personal space to celebrate National Dance Week with the entire country!
Brand your event or activities by adding the official NDW logo to your promotion. DOWNLOAD THIS YEAR'S NDW LOGO HERE … and please let us know what you are planning to do so we can help to promote it!
Contact Julie Robert, our National Dance Week/Dare to Dance coordinator at email@example.com.